Time of Poss.
BUFFALO, N.Y.—Buffalo State blocked a pair of field goals and overcame 177 yards in penalties to outlast the University of Rochester in a 13-10 home victory today at Coyer Field, marking the first win under interim head coach Christian Ozolins.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 13, U. of Rochester - 7
LOCATION: Coyer Field – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (1-5/1-1), U. of Rochester (0-7/0-3)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Gino Bonagura (Lindenhurst/Lindenhurst) led a dominant defense for Buffalo State with 16 tackles, while Devin Delmont (Blasdell/St. Francis) and Anthony Wasiyo (Troy/Hoosic Valley) finished with 15 stops and two tackles for loss apiece.
- Martin Bailey (Buffalo/Kenmore West) paced the Bengals' offense with 16 carries for 122 yards with a touchdown and also had one catch for 12 yards.
- Jordan Evert (Amherst/Sweet Home) also found the end zone and had four catches for 63 yards.
- Zak Ciezki (Cheektowaga/Cheektowaga) finished 9 of 20 for 140 yards with a touchdown and an interception, and Jayson Wallace (Rochester/Churchville-Chili) was 2 for 2 for 25 yards in relief on the final drive which ran out the clock to preserve the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rochester had the first chance to get on the scoreboard late in the first quarter as it lined up for a 30-yard field goal try, but Darren Wesley (Brooklyn/Erasmus Hall) darted through the line to block the kick.
- Bailey broke free for a 28-yard scoring run just three plays later to give Buffalo State a 6-0 lead on the first play of the second quarter.
- Buffalo State force two turnovers on downs and a punt on the next three Rochester possessions, and the Bengals were able to extend the lead on a 51-yard pass from Ciezki to Evert who was streaking down the right sideline with just 41 seconds left in the half to push the lead to 13-0.
- Both teams were held scoreless in the third quarter, thanks to another blocked field goal by Buffalo State, this time by DeeMac Kilgo (Mt. Vernon/Mt. Vernon) on a 42-yard try.
- Rochester finally got on the board with a 3-yard touchdown catch by Noah Shinaman from Derek Bufano with 9:10 remaining in regulation.
- The Yellow Jackets only had one more possession and turned it over in four downs before the Bengals were able to run out the final 6:03 of the game.
- Buffalo State outgained Rochester 305-287, but the Bengals committed 14 accepted penalties for 177 yards, compared to seven for 75 yards by the Yellow Jackets.
FOR THE FOES
- Bufano was 20 of 27 for 167 yards with a touchdown.
- Justin Daul was the leading receiver with five catches for 66 yards.
- Joey Moore had an interception at the Rochester 2-yard line in the first quarter.
Buffalo State will host Union for homecoming next Saturday at noon.