SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – Senior linebacker Evan Gilland had two interceptions, one returned for a touchdown, to help the Union College football team defeat No. 21 Hobart, 23-7, on Saturday afternoon at Frank Bailey Field at Bertagna-Class of 1985 Stadium.
The win keeps Union's undefeated streak alive as the Dutchmen improve to 4-0 on the season and start Liberty League play 1-0. Hobart falls to 4-1 overall and 0-1 in league play.
- Union's defense kept Hobart to just 33 yards rushing.
- Despite Hobart throwing for 247 yards, Union intercepted three passes, two by Evan Gilland and once by Joe Vanderhoof.
- Gilland totaled 93 yards on the two interception returns, which included a 54-yard pick-six. Gilland also led the Dutchmen with six solo tackles.
- Union rushed for a total of 229 yards and Ike Irabor rushed for 182 of those yards and for two touchdowns.
- With the win, Union has now won its last three games against nationally-ranked opponents.
Up Next for the Dutchmen
The Dutchmen hit the road next weekend taking on the University of Rochester on Saturday, Oct. 12. Kickoff against the Yellowjackets is set for noon (ET).