(EMORY, Va.) – The Thomas More University football team extended its winning streak to five games as it defeated Emory & Henry College, 41-27, today (Saturday, October 6, 2018) at Fred Selfe Stadium in Emory, Virginia.
- Thomas More took a 7-0 lead when sophomore tight end Jaeison Jefferson (Northport, Ala./Tuscaloosa County) scored on a 12-yard touchdown pass from first-year quarterback Hunter Fentress (Wilmington, Ohio/Clinton-Massie) and junior kicker Cole Mathias (Reynoldsburg, Ohio/Reynoldsburg) added the PAT with 13:10 to play in the quarter.
- The Wasps tied the game with 8:25 to play in the opening quarter when Tyree Ward scored on a one-yard run and Matt Seals added the PAT.
- Mathias connected on a 33-yard field goal and the Saints led 10-7 with 6:14 to play in the quarter.
- Thomas More extended the lead to 17-7 with 1:38 to play in the game when junior quarterback Justin Post (Macedonia, Ohio/Nordonia) connected on a 27-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Logan Winkler (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) and Mathias added the PAT.
- Seals made a 21-yard field goal for Emory & Henry to cut the lead to 17-7 with 11:09 to play in the quarter.
- Thomas More answered with 10:47 to play in the second quarter when senior running back Hjavier Pitts (Cincinnati, Ohio/Mt. Healthy) scored on a 63-yard touchdown run and Mathis made the PAT to me the score 24-10.
- Emory & Henry cut the lead to 24-13 at halftime when Seals made a 21-yard field goal with two-seconds to play in the quarter.
- Emory & Henry cut the lead to 24-20 with 10:12 to play in the quarter when Derrick Yates scored on a 30-yard touchdown pass from Hunter Taylor and Seals added the PAT.
- The Saints answered quickly when Post connected on a 61-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Da'marco Canty (Bogart, Ga./North Oconee) and Mathias made the PAT to increase the lead to 31-20 with 9:19 to play in the quarter.
- Mathias gave the Saints a 34-20 lead with 10:00 to play in the game when he made a school record-tying 47-yard field goal.
- Thomas More increased the lead to 41-20 with 3:44 to play in the game when Pitts scored on a 35-yard touchdown run and Mathias added the PAT.
- Emory & Henry's Yates scored on a seven-yard touchdown pass from Taylor and Seals added the PAT with 12-seconds to play, but it wasn't enough as the Saints posted the 41-27 victory.
- Thomas More improves to 5-1 and Emory & Henry falls to 2-2.
- The Saints out-gained the Wasps 471 yards (291 rushing/180 passing) to 446 yards (174 rushing/272 passing).
- Post was nine-of-18 passing for 168 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing the ball six times for 62 yards.
- Pitts carried the ball 21 times for 204 yards and two touchdowns.
- Canty finished the game with one catch for 61 yards and a touchdown.
- Winkler pulled in two catches for 36 yards and a touchdown.
- Junior linebacker Cody Coffey (Anderson, Ohio/Anderson) led the team with 12 tackles (eight solo/four assisted), including a tackle for a loss.
- Junior defensive back Thomas Williams (Oregonia, Ohio/Clinton-Massie) had 11 tackles (seven solo/four assisted) and a forced fumble.
- First-year linebacker Peyton Van Horn (Hebron, Ky./Conner) finished the game with nine tackles (five solo/four assisted), including a tackle for a loss.
- The Saints return to home next Saturday (October 13) for their homecoming game with 24th-ranked Muhlenberg College. Kick-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. at BB&T Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.