BUFFALO, N.Y.—Alfred University scored 38 unanswered points to close out the game and run away with a 51-7 victory over host Buffalo State under the lights tonight at Coyer Field.
FINAL SCORE: Alfred University – 51, Buffalo State - 7
LOCATION: Coyer Field – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Alfred (4-1/3-0), Buffalo State (1-4/1-1)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Martin Bailey (Buffalo/Kenmore West) led the Bengals on offense with 112 rushing yards on 14 carries, including a 91-yard scoring run. He also had two catches for 20 yards before leaving with an injury in the second half.
- Senior quarterback Kevin Torrillo (Amherst/Sweet Home) finished 17 of 31 for 198 yards with three interceptions.
- Devin Delmont (Blasdell/St. Francis) and Paul Brinkel (Hamburg/Frontier) paced the Buffalo State defense with eight tackles each.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Buffalo State stopped Alfred on the opening drive and quickly moved into Saxons' territory, but Torrillo was intercepted by Raequon Greer.
- After another defensive stand, the Bengals moved the ball again, including converting a fourth-and-8 with a 42-yard completion by Vinny Gregory (Amherst/Amherst) to set up a first-and-goal from the Alfred 2. The Bengals turned the ball over on downs, however, with four-straight unsuccessful runs.
- Alfred answered with a 76-yard catch and run from Ben Burk to Kevin Bragaglia that set up a 2-yard scoring run by Nas Smith to open the scoring late in the first quarter.
- Bragaglia produced a 37-yard punt return early in the second quarter that led to a 1-play touchdown drive on a 10-yard run by Smith to push the score to 13-0.
- The Bengals finally broke through three plays later with a 91-yard run by Bailey to close the deficit to 13-7.
- The Saxons responded immediately with a nine-play, 54-yard drive that culminated with a 4-yard touchdown run by Robert Smith. A two-point conversion pushed the lead to 21-7.
- The Saxons added a safety on a sack of Torrillo in the end zone by Nick Milgate and Rodney Bailey to take a 23-7 lead into halftime.
- The Saxons pulled away in the second half, limiting the Bengals to just 74 yards of offense while finding the end zone four more times.
- Nas Smith scored his third touchdown of the day on a 7-yard run for the only points of the third quarter.
- The Saxons added three more scores in the fourth quarter on a 26-yard reception by Chris Harders from Burk, a 35-yard return of a "pick-6" by Eric Graham, and a 9-yard run by James Kerr.
- Alfred outgained the Bengals 439-271 for the game and finished plus-three in the turnover battle.
FOR THE FOES
- Burk was 15 of 27 for 240 yards with two touchdowns.
- Nas Smith finished with 125 yards on 17 carries with two rushing touchdowns and also had the 7-yard touchdown catch.
- Bragaglia had 184 all-purpose yards, including three catches for 84 yards.
- Cole Reed finished with 11 tackles, and Bailey had 2.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.
Buffalo State will play the first of two-straight road games at Cortland next Saturday at noon.