(CANTON, N.Y.) – The Thomas More football team had 334 yards of rushing today (Saturday, September 29, 2018) as it defeated St. Lawrence University, 48-12, at Leckonby Stadium in Canton, New York.
- Thomas More took a 7-0 lead with 6:49 to play in the quarter when senior running back Luke Zajac (Edgewood, Ky./Dixie Heights) scored on a five-yard touchdown runs and junior kicker Cole Mathias (Reynoldsburg, Ohio/Reynoldsburg) added the point-after-attempt.
- Mathias extended the lead to 10-0 when he made a 35-yard field goal with 10:48 to play in the quarter.
- Thomas More made the score 17-0 with 6:39 to play in the first half when senior running back Hjavier Pitts (Cincinnati, Ohio/Mt. Healthy) scored on a one-yard run and Mathias added the PAT.
- St. Lawrence cut the lead to 17-6 at halftime when Aaron Ruthman connected on a 26-yard touchdown pass to Travis Marnell and Austin Pinard's PAT failed with 4:05 to play in the quarter.
- St. Lawrence made the score 17-12 with 11:10 to play in the third quarter when Jamie Battaglia scored on a nine-yard run and the two-point try failed.
- Thomas More increased the lead to 24-12 when junior wide receiver Da'marco Canty (Bogart, Ga./North Oconee) scored on a 43-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Justin Post (Macedonia, Ohio/Nordonia) and Mathias added the PAT with 7:19 to play in the quarter.
- Sophomore running back Dillon Powell (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) scored on a three-yard run and Mathias added the PAT to extend the lead to 31-12 with 1:25 to play in the quarter.
- Thomas More made the score 38-12 with 14:53 to play in the game when Post connected on a 13-yard touchdown pass to Pitts and Mathias added the PAT.
- Zajac scored on a 10-yard run and Mathias added the PAT to make the score 45-12 with 7:00 to play in the game.
- Thomas More closed out the scoring with 1:44 to play in the game when Mathias connected on a 32-yard field goal for the final score of 48-12.
- Thomas More improve to 4-1 and St. Lawrence falls to 1-4.
- This is Thomas More's fifth game of the season and the fifth different state it has played a game this season.
- Thomas More had 600 yards of offense (334 rushing/266 passing) to St. Lawrence's 243 (42 rushing/201 passing).
- Post was 16-of-27 passing for 266 yards and two touchdowns and had four rushes for 12 yards.
- Pitts had 26 rushes for 142 yards and a touchdown, while also pulling in three catches for 33 yards and a touchdown.
- Zajac had 18 carries for 117 yards and two touchdown, while also having one catche for 48 yards.
- Canty finished the game with three catches for 86 yards and a touchdown.
- Senior wide receiver Logan Winkler (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) had four catches for 69 yards.
- Junior linebacker Cody Coffey (Anderson, Ohio/Anderson) had six tackles (five solo/one assisted).
- First-year defensive back Lashunn Townsend, Jr. (Erlanger, Ky./Lloyd) had five tackles (all solo) and one interception.
- Junior linebacker Adam Guard (Lawrence, Ind./Pinecrest Academy (Ga.)) finished game with five tackles (three solo/two assisted), including two tackles for a loss.
- Thomas More will travel to Emory, Virginia next Saturday (October 6) to play Emory & Henry College. Kick-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Fred Selfe Stadium.