ADRIAN, Mich.—Senior wide receiver Jerron McGaw set an Adrian College record with 256 receiving yards on 13 catches, including five touchdowns, to lead the Bulldogs to a 56-27 victory over visiting Buffalo State in a non-conference contest this afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Adrian - 56, Buffalo State – 27
LOCATION: Docking Stadium – Adrian, Mich.
RECORDS: Adrian (1-1) Buffalo State (0-2)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Kevin Torrillo (Amherst/Sweet Home) finished 29 of 50 for 277 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.
- Jamar Rutledge (Buffalo/McKinley) caught 11 passes for 106 yards and a touchdown, and Jordan Evert (Amherst/Sweet Home) had seven catches for 77 yards and a score.
- Dupreme Robinson (Brooklyn/South Shore) led the Bengals' defense with nine tackles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Adrian jumped out to a 28-0 lead and never looked back en route to the 29-point victory.
- Both teams had drives stall out early as Adrian threatened first moving into Bengals' territory before turning the ball over on downs, failing the convert on a fourth-and-1 from the Buffalo State 22.
- Buffalo State started the move the ball on the ensuing possession, but Adrian's Tim McPhee picked off Torrillo. The Bulldogs then needed just two plays to go 59 yards on a pair of completions from Jack Wurzer to Jerron McGaw, including a 15-yard touchdown to take a 7-0 lead.
- The Bengals responded with a 13-play drive and looked to get on the board, but Merrick Sproule (Oakville, ON/White Oaks) shanked a 28-yard field goal try.
- Buffalo State's defense got the ball back on the next possession when Gino Bonagura (Lindenhurst/Lindenhurst) forced a fumble, but Torrillo had an errant pass intercepted for the second time of the game on the very next play which would set up another Adrian score.
- The Bulldogs needed just three plays, capped by a 26-yard pitch-and-catch from Wurzer to Calvin Raker to push the lead to 14-0 midway through the second quarter.
- Adrian found the end zone again just over three minutes later on McGaw's second touchdown catch, this time on a quick 4-yard slant.
- The Bulldogs got the ball right back recovery a "pooch" kick and wasted little time getting McGaw the first-half hat trick with a 39-yard scoring catch to make the score 28-0 with 2:44 remaining in the half.
- Buffalo State finally broke through with just 11 seconds left before the intermission on a 15-yard strike from Torrillo to Rutledge to cut the deficit to 28-7.
- Buffalo State continued to chip away at the lead with the first points of the second half on a 29-yard touchdown by Evert, but the Bengals still could not contain McGaw who scored three plays later on a 65-yard catch and run.
- Torrillo closed the gap to 35-21 with a 1-yard keeper in the opening minute of the fourth quarter, but Adrian had a quick answer once again. After a 78-yard kick return by Antonio Goines, McGaw reeled in his fifth touchdown of the day from 6 yards out.
- After a three-and-out by the Bengals, Adrian pushed the lead to 49-21 with a 28-yard scoring run by Emmanuel Stewart with more than 11 minutes still remaining.
- Nas Jackson (Buffalo/St. Joe's) added a 1-yard touchdown catch from Torrillo, but the Bulldogs completed the scoring with a 17-yard run by Colton Randle.
- Adrian finished with 444 yards of total offense compared to 354 by the Bengals.
FOR THE FOES
- Freshman quarterback Wurzer was 17 of 20 for 309 yards and six touchdowns in his first collegiate start.
Buffalo State will enjoy a bye next weekend before returning to action on the road at RPI on Sept. 22.