Time of Poss.
GLASSBORO, N.J. – Despite a few untimely miscues, the William Paterson football team (0-2, 0-1 NJAC) stayed within two possessions for most of the night before dropping a 22-6 decision during its New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) opener Sept. 15 at Rowan (3-0, 2-0 NJAC).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Profs opened the scoring at the 4:23 mark of the first quarter with a 13-yard pass play, and after a Pioneer defensive stand in the red zone, added a 16-yard field goal for a 10-0 edge with 4:44 left in the second period.
- Rowan turned a fumble recovery into three more points after two WP stops inside the five-yard line, kicking a 20-yarder with 63 seconds remaining in the first half.
- An interception led to a 16-0 score on a 27-yard Rowan field goal less than five minutes into the third quarter, and a 92-yard rushing play pushed the Profs ahead by a 22-0 count with 8:30 on the clock in the fourth.
- Sophomore defensive back Ra'Keem Bennett ended the next Rowan possession with an interception at the WP-20, and junior quarterback Tracy Fudge, Jr. capped an eight-play, 80-yard drive with a 24-yard touchdown throw on fourth down to sophomore tight end William Frese (22-6, 3:07).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- A dropped potential pick-six, as well as a touchdown called back on a penalty, kept WP off the scoreboard during the first half.
- Fudge, Jr. finished 22-for-40 for 227 yards, a touchdown and an interception.
- Sophomore running back Marcel Mason carried seven times for a career-best 100 yards, the first 100-yard effort by a Pioneer since the 2015 season (Anthony DiMarsico, 177 yards, Nov. 7 at Christopher Newport).
- Junior wide receiver RaeQuawn Bridgeman hauled in six passes for 86 yards.
- Freshman linebacker Mahkye Boswell led four Pioneers in double figures with 14 tackles (eight solo, 2.0 TFL). Senior safety Matt Olivo had 11 stops (seven solo), and junior linebacker Corey Anthony and senior linebacker Charles Faulkner each registered 10.
- Rowan sophomore quarterback Riley Giles finished 31-for-38 for 215 yards , a TD and an interception. Classmate Messiah Devine rushed five times for 96 yards and a score, and he and junior tight end Cody Madden each caught eight passes for 72 yards. Senior linebacker Chris Henchy recovered a fumble and tallied eight tackles.
- William Paterson travels to No. 7 Wesley Saturday, Sept. 22, for a 1:00 p.m. kickoff.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: