Time of Poss.
ASHLAND, Va. - The Randolph-Macon offense gained 456 yards, including 381 yards on the ground, and the Yellow Jacket defense held Catholic to six points in a 41-6 victory for R-MC on Wednesday evening at Day Field.
How It Happened
- The Cardinals (0-3) scored a touchdown on their second possession, but missed the extra point in taking a 6-0 lead. The Yellow Jackets (2-1) would score on its next four possessions (2 TDs & 2 FGs) to take a 20-7 lead at the break.
- Senior Sean McDonald (Clarke County, Va./Clarke County) had a one-yard scoring run and junior Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) scampered in from three yards out, both coming in the first period, as R-MC took a 14-6 advantage.
- Sophomore Chris Vidal (Wake, N.C./Wake Forest) hit field goals of 22 and 23 yards in the second quarter to put the home team up 20-6 at the break.
- After punting on its first possession of the second half, the Yellow Jackets tallied touchdowns on their next three drives to build a 41-6 lead.
- McDonald added a two-yard TD run in the third quarter to make it 27-6.
- Jordan Hall scored from seven yards out and senior Joe McBride (Arlington, Va./Yorktown) found the end zone from two yards away in the fourth period as R-MC posted the 41-6 victory.
By The Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets rushed 48 times for 381 yards and five TDs. Hall gained 134 yards on seven carries, while senior Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) amassed 127 yards on 17 rushes.
- For the third straight game, R-MC won time possession. The Yellow Jackets had the ball for 34:33, compared to 25:27 for the Cardinals. R-MC held the ball for 10:06 in the final period.
- The R-MC defense held CUA to 95 yards on 36 carries. Brady Berger went 13 for 21 for 135 yards for the Cardinals, but was sacked six times.
- Senior Julian Drew (Raleigh, N.C./Wakefield) averaged 50.7 yards on three punts, having one downed on the CUA one-yard line.
- Senior Ryan Burns (Fredericksburg, Va./Colonial Forge) topped the team with six tackles. Sophomore Aaron Cox (Grifton, N.C./Ayden-Grifton) registered a pair of sacks for -17 yards, while sophomore Joel Calkins (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) had two tackles for loss for -4 yards.
Randolph-Macon will start ODAC play on Saturday, Sept. 29 at 1 p.m. at Washington and Lee. The Yellow Jackets and the Generals tied for the top spot in the ODAC Preseason Poll.