Time of Poss.
ONEONTA, N.Y.— Kyle Hoppy (Orchard Park/Orchard Park) connected with Had Bryant (Bronx/Cardinal Hayes) for a 16-yard touchdown with just 10 seconds remaining to lift Buffalo State to a 24-20 victory over host Hartwick today in an Empire 8 contest.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 24, Hartwick - 20
LOCATION: Wright Stadium - Oneonta, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (5-4/2-4), Hartwick (3-6/2-4)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Hoppy finished 17 of 33 for 285 yards with the one touchdown and two interceptions.
- Stephen Johnson (Buffalo/McKinley) piled up a game-high 136 receiving yards on four catches.
- Antoine Holloman (Brooklyn/Abraham Lincoln) led the Bengals on the ground with 86 yards and a score on 21 carries.
- Billy Carroll (Holtsville/Sachem East) had five tackles including one for loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hartwick capitalized on a first quarter interception to set up a short field and converted to take a 7-0 lead on an 8-yard touchdown pass from Billy Pine to Brad Garcia.
- Buffalo State responded with an eight-play, 79-yard scoring drive that was capped by an 8-yard scoring run by Holloman to even the score.
- Hartwick scored the only points of the second quarter with another Pine to Garcia connection covering 17 yards.
- Buffalo State drove into Hartwick territory twice, but turned it over on downs and missed a short field goal on the final play of the first half to lead the deficit at 14-7 at the intermission.
- The Bengals missed another short field goal on the first drive of the second half, and Hartwick answered with another score on a 4-yard touchdown pass to Jack Steinman. Buffalo State blocked the extra point, and would not allow the Hawks on the board again.
- Buffalo State climbed back in the game with a 1-yard run by Anthony Covington (Liberty/Liberty) in the final minute of the third quarter.
- After a Paul Krowel (Amsterdam/BH-BL) sack for a loss of 18 yards, the Hawks gave the Bengals two points with a bad snap on punt attempt out of the end zone for a safety on the first play of the fourth quarter, cutting the margin to 20-16.
- With all the momentum, Buffalo State took the free kick and quickly moved into scoring position aided by a 49-yard catch and run by Johnson. Hoppy was intercepted on a first-and-goal from the 4, however, to keep the Bengals from taking the lead.
- After a defensive stop, Buffalo State failed on a third field goal try, this time having a 33-yard attempt blocked.
- Hartwick failed to convert on a fourth-and-6 at the 50-yard line on the next possession, giving the Bengals good field position and 2:09 on the clock to try to win the game.
- The Bengals picked up four quick first downs, but appeared to stall, before Hoppy eluded a pair of would-be tacklers and threw a strike to Bryant for the game winning score.
- Buffalo State tacked on a two-point conversion on a rush by Hoppy and the Bengals defense bottled up the Hawks to end the game.
FOR THE FOES
- Pine was 16 of 27 for 225 yards with three touchdowns.
- Garcia caught six passes for 95 yards and two touchdowns.
- Mark Hackett led Hartwick's defense with 13 tackles.
Buffalo State will close out the 2017 season next Saturday at home against St. John Fisher at noon.