Time of Poss.
JACKSON, Miss. — Sophomore wide receiver Mason Kinsey decided to lease a second home in the end zone of Harper Davis Field on Saturday afternoon, scoring four touchdowns to lead the No. 18 Berry football team to a 37-22 win and preserve the team's unblemished season.
Kinsey was unstoppable in the outing, shattering program records with 10 catches, 228 yards and four scores. After a Trey Gregory field goal on Berry's first possession, the Vikings started their third drive at the Majors' 35 yard line. Three straight completions from Slade Dale put Berry in the end zone with a 10-0 lead heading into the second quarter.
In a high-scoring second period, Berry pushed the lead to 17-0 after a three yard score from Austin Lowe. Kinsey then got his second touchdown of the day from Tate Adcock to give the Vikings a healthy 23-0 advantage. As has become expected when the Vikings face the Majors, Millsaps refused to go down, driving 12 plays and 65 yards to score and cut the lead to 23-6. The Vikings then went three-and-out to give Millsaps the ball back with 3:10 left on the clock. Chance Clowers pushed the offense downfield to score once more and head into the locker room trailing 23-14, Berry on top.
A scoreless third period saw neither offense able to regain their first half rhythm. The Majors started the final period with a three and out and punted to Austin Haight. He pulled off a 28 yard return to set Berry up at the Majors 32 yard line. Two plays later, Kinsey had his third score of the day and the Vikings regained momentum in the form of a 30-14 lead.
Millsaps answered on their next possession and recovered a fumble deep in Berry territory to threaten with the score at 30-22. Immediately after regaining possession, the Majors' Clowers tossed a pass into the waiting arms of Austin Haight to give Berry the ball back with under under five minutes to play. Dale then connected with Kinsey on a 60-yard score to put the Majors away for good.
- Slade Dale: 17-25, 287 pass yds, 3 TD, 30 rush yds
- Mason Kinsey: 10 rec, 228 yds, 4 TD
- Trey Ciresi: 5 rec, 118 yds
- Tyler Bertolini: 6 tkl, TFL
- Jack Carroll: 6 tkl, TFL
- Chance Clowers: 30-48, 270 yds, 3 TD, 2 INT
- Tanner Menist: 7 rec, 75 yds, TD
- Kain Mitchell: 6 rec, 39 yds, TD
- Gary Roberts: 7 tkl, 0.5 TFL
- Dylan Higgins: 6 tkl, TFL, FF, FR
- Kinsey now holds the program record with 228 receiving yards and four receiving touchdowns. He is tied for the program record with 10 receptions (Chris Lilly). He now leads the league with 12 receiving TDs and has broken Trey Ciresi's record for most TDs in a season.
- Berry held the Majors to just 40 yards on the ground, marking the second straight game holding an opponent under 50 yards rushing.
- Slade Dale and Tate Adcock combined for a program record 401 passing yards
AROUND THE SAA:
- Trinity defeated Sewanee 27-21
- Birmingham-Southern won over Austin College 31-24
- Centre edged Rhodes 42-35
- Berry will travel to face Birmingham-Southern on Oct. 28th at 3:00 p.m.