Kean Surges Past Western Connecticut, 58-7

More news about: Kean

Union, N.J. (10/6/12) – The Kean University football team scored 52 unanswered points on their way to topping Western Connecticut State University, 58-7, Saturday afternoon in NJAC action.

With the win, The Cougars remain undefeated in conference play with a 3-0 record, and push back over the .500 mark with a 3-2 overall record.  The Colonials fall to 0-5 this fall and 0-4 in the New Jersey Athletic Conference.

For the third straight week, senior Darius Kinney racked up 200 yards on the ground, in addition to 32 in the air, while scoring three touchdowns total on the afternoon.  Junior Christian Bailoni completed 10-of-14 passes good for 171 yards and three touchdowns as one of three quarterbacks used on the day for Kean.

Kean's 58 points scored are the most points scored in a single-game since 1992, when Kean recorded 70 points in their win over Salisbury.

The Cougars used their first possession to put points on the board as junior Sean McKee completed a seven play drive with a 36 yard run to give Kean a 6-0 lead (kick after failed).

The Colonials answered right back taking advantage of good field position as rookie Bobby Durham set up WCSU on their own 46 to start the drive.  Quarterback Will Arndt got things going with a 13 yard rush that moved West Conn into Kean territory.   A Cougar penalty setup the Colonials just outside the red zone and Arndt took advantage with a 22 yard pass to freshman Connor Falaguerra for a first-and-goal opportunity.  Two plays later, Western Connecticut took their only lead of the day in what turned out to be their only score as junior Octavius McKoy rushed for one yard for the touchdown.  The ensuing extra point gave West Conn a 7-6 lead.

The see-saw action continued as Kean scored on their next possession as Kinney capped a six play, 54 yard drive with a five yard rush for his first touchdown of the day, giving Kean a 13-7 lead, a lead they would not relinquish. 

Kean added three more scores in the second quarter to take a 31-7 lead into halftime.  McKee crossed the goal line for the second time on the afternoon with a 10 yard rush with just over five minutes to go in the quarter to put the score at 21-7.  Senior Chris VanFechtmann intercepted Arndt on the very first play of WCSU's next possession and Kean used three plays to go ahead, 28-7.  Kinney caught a short pass from Bailoni and raced his way 32 yards into the end zone.   Junior Bill Cullen made it 31-7 with a 45 yard field-goal late in the first half.

Junior Chris Johnson would go on to record two touchdowns while Kinney tallied an 87 yard run as the Cougars tacked on another 27 points in the final 30 minutes of play.

On offense, senior Lou Haynes registered 53 yards in the air, including a 52 yard touchdown score in the third quarter.  On defense junior Bob Klecha recorded five tackles with one sack (11 yards) and one forced fumble.  Seniors Jerelle Peay and Mahmoud Ramadan each record four tackles with one tackle each for a loss.

For the Colonials, McKoy finished with 54 rushing yards with one touchdown while Arndt completed 11-of-25 passes for 73 yards.  He was also intercepted three times and sacked twice.  On defense junior Mike Lacaria led all players with 11 total tackles, including seven solo stops, while junior Tyler Ballard added 10.

Kean returns to action on Saturday, October 13th when they travel to William Paterson University.