Wrapup: Linfield rallies, Bethel survives, Fisher rolls

Joel Lambrides and Phillip Peterson celebrate Bethel's last-second stop to defeat Wartburg.
Photo by Ryan Coleman, d3photography.com
Ryan Kent hurdles the UW-Platteville defender for the touchdown.
Photo by Eric Kelley, d3photography.com 

Linfield rallied from a 21-3 deficit, Bethel held Wartburg out of the end zone in the closing minute and St. John Fisher pulled off another road upset in the second round of the Division III football playoffs.

No. 1 seed Bethel survived the loss of starting quarterback Erik Peterson and a last-second drive by Wartburg to defeat the Knights 34-27.

Peterson was knocked out in the second half, but Tom Keefe threw two touchdown passes in relief and the Royals advanced to the national quarterfinals, where they will face North Central.

Wartburg's final drive ended with two shots at the end zone from inside the 15.

Hampden-Sydney jumped out to a 21-3 lead on the west coast but Linfield held the Tigers off the scoreboard for the final 39 minutes, 40 seconds and rallied for a 31-21 win.

Josh Yoder was intercepted three times in the win and completed under 50 percent of his passes. Nash Nance was 29-for-49 for Hampden-Sydney, including eight catches, 164 yards and a touchdown by Holton Walker.

Linfield will play UW-Whitewater in next week's quarterfinal round, likely on the road. Sites are made official on Sunday.

St. John Fisher returned to the national quarterfinals for the second time in three seasons, defeating Hobart 27-6. Patrick Conlan, who returned from last week's injury, was limited to 13-of-30 passing and Steven Webb was held to 74 yards on 18 carries. St. John Fisher turned three Hobart turnovers into 17 points in the win.

North Central rolled over UW-Platteville 52-24 behind 257 yards and four rushing touchdowns from Ryan Kent. The Cardinals jumped out to a 21-3 lead after the first quarter and never looked back.

Wesley advanced to the national quarterfinals for the fifth consecutive year and improved to 8-1 in second-round games, defeating Ithaca 23-15. The Wolverines held Ithaca to minus-50 yards rushing but had to recover an onside kick with under three minutes to go to seal the victory.

Freshman Jamar Baynard ran for 103 yards and two touchdowns and Jeremiah Howe had 105 yards from scrimmage on nine rushes and five receptions.

The Wolverines will travel to top-ranked Mount Union, which put Wittenberg away with a 35-point second half to win 56-21. Kevin Burke tied his season-high with five passing touchdowns and ran for another as the Purple Raiders advanced to the national quarterfinals for the 22nd consecutive season. The Purple Raiders defense limited Reed Florence to 19-for-45 passing in the win.

The Cardinals will travel to Mary Hardin-Baylor, which gave up an early touchdown but was dominant the rest of the way in defeating Rowan 59-8. The Cru put up 35 first-half points after the Profs took their 6-0 lead. Elijah Hudson and Zach Anderson each ran for more than 100 yards in the win. Rowan's Withler Marcelin, who ran for 223 yards last week vs. Endicott, was held to 41 yards on 19 carries in the defeat.

Jonny West completed 33 passes for 297 yards but needed 63 attempts to do so and was held out of the end zone as UW-Whitewater defeated Franklin 33-3. The Grizzlies managed just 4 yards rushing on 24 carries. 

Matt Behrendt threw three touchdown passes, two of them to Jake Kumerow, while Tyler Huber had seven catches for 89 yards. The Warhawks await Linfield. The Warhawks (12-0) intercepted Jonny West on the Grizzlies' second play from scrimmage, then put together a nine-play drive capped by a Kumerow touchdown catch. They followed with an 11-play drive two possessions later to take a 14-0 lead and never looked back.