Post-John, Johnnies win

More news about: Pacific | St. John-s | Wesley
Pacific took the longest trip in school history and knocked off Adrian 20-10.
Photo by Eric Kelley,
More photos from this game 
Alexi Johnson reported he had never kicked a 40-yard field goal in high school but started his collegiate career with one in the closing seconds to win the game.
Photo by Ryan Coleman,
More photos from this game 

In just the fourth year since the program's return, Pacific flew halfway across the country and knocked off the 2012 MIAA champion, defeating Adrian 20-10. The Boxers took advantage of three turnovers in the first half and then ran out most of the clock in the second half including a 10:39 to 4:21 advantage in the fourth quarter to salt away the victory. Craig Bailey had two interceptions which led to touchdowns for the Boxers.

UW-River Falls held a listless St. John's offense to 63 passing yards through three quarters but the Johnnies came alive in the final three minutes of the game and defeated the Falcons 17-14. in Gary Fasching's first game as head coach after taking over from John Gagliardi. 

Freshman Alexi Johnson drilled the longest field goal of his life, a 40-yarder with two seconds left to lift the Johnnies. St. John's scored twice in the final minute to win it.

Steve Koudossou caught four touchdown passes and No. 5 Wesley got its season off to a rousing start, bouncing back from a 21-7 deficit to defeat No. 20 Widener 33-21. Joe Callahan completed 37 of 52 passes, 17 of them to Koudossou for 226 yards. Anthony Davis caught eight balls for 106 yards for the Pride.

Freshman Trey Lee, stepping in for his ineligible counterpart at running back, rushed for 124 yards as Stevenson won an opener for the first time in the even shorter history of the program, defeating North Carolina Wesleyan 19-9.

Nichols won its season opener for the first time since 2007, defeating Westfield State 28-27 in overtime. The Bison, who have won just two games total in the past three seasons, scored first in overtime and hung on as Westfield attempted a two-point conversion that would have won the game.

Willamette had little trouble with westward-traveling Hardin-Simmons, crushing the Cowboys 64-34.